OK naturist friends! I need your help!
When the pandemic broke out, we turned our eyes toward our homeland to locate the best naked places we find on North American soil. That’s led to an interesting project called NAKED IN AMERICA, which is ongoing, and I suspect will be for some time to come.
To put it bluntly, I’ve found it frustrating, if not impossible, to find a comprehensive list of naked places in North America. The AANR website is difficult to navigate, and only includes member clubs and resorts. The TNSF listing is similarly quirky. The Review Resorts website offers some great leads, but is a bit hit and miss as well, and the Naturist Directory is quite out of date, with lots of dead links.
I NEED YOUR HELP! Below is a list of places I’ve collected up from each of the above resources, using the following guidelines:
- I’m only including places you can physically go to. No non-landed clubs.
- With a few exceptions,* I’m only including places that are genuinely devoted to genuine naturism – which as most know, can be very difficult to discern. But if the place blatantly advertises as a “sex club,” such as several venues near Palm Springs, I’ve decidedly left them out.
- Listing nude beaches has been particularly tricky, as there are many places you can “get away with it,” but few where nudity is officially authorized. But I suspect I missed a few of those along the way
- I included Canada, but I did NOT include Mexico, as that will be part of a future page on Central America and the Caribbean.
- There are a few places, such as Red, White, & Blue Beach in California, that are no longer in existence, but I’ve left them on the list for historical reasons as well, as that will be good blogger fodder for the future.
*I broke my own rule about Caliente and Paradise Lakes in Florida as each represent a very interesting chapter in the evolution of nudism in America, despite the fact that I’m not sure they belong on this list now.
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO PERUSE THE LIST BELOW. If you notice one of your favorite naked places is missing, PLEASE COMMENT in the REPLY section at the bottom of this page and I’ll look it up. (Include a web address for me if there is one.)
I’ll be working through this project one region at a time, giving special attention to places we’ve actually visited. 😎 When the pages go live, I’ll be inviting other people to contribute reviews to places we’ve not visited… yet. I’ve already found a few gems I didn’t know about, which is the best part of taking on a project of this magnitude.
Have no new information to contribute? The rebuilding of the website to accommodate this project is requiring a significant layout of cash to update the versatility of these pages, including interactive maps with clickable links. Even a small donation will help a great deal in completing this project, as we have no designs on making this a pay-to-use site. That actually defeats the purpose of promoting naturism to the unsuspecting would be nudie newbie!
Here’s the list I have going so far! Please comment about anyplace I have missed or anything I should know…
NATURIST PLACES IN NORTH AMERICA
[E] = East Coast (touching the Atlantic Ocean)
[M] = Middle America
[W] = West Coast (touching the Pacific Ocean)
(c.1954) = Date established
😎 = We’ve BEEN THERE
- Gymno-vita Park (Couples only)
Alaska [W]… No Naked Places 😢
- Mira Vista 😎
- Shangri-La 😎
- Desert Joy B&B: https://www.clothingoptionalhomenetwork.com/locations/arizona/tucson-marana/
- Sunburst Inn (Gay): http://www.azsunburst.com/
British Columbia [W]
- Wreck Beach
- Sunny Trails Club: no website
- Glen Eden 😎
- Olive Dell Ranch 😎
- Desert Sun 😎
- Tuscany Manor
- DeAnza Springs 😎
- Laguna del Sol
- The Sequoians 😎
- Lupin Lodge 😎
- Meadowlark Country House
- Blacks Beach 😎
- Red, White & Blue Beach 😎
- Red Rock Beach 😎
- Bonny Dune Beach 😎
- Baker Beach 😎
- Harbin Hot Springs 😎
- Wilbur Hot Springs
- Sierra Hot Springs
- Turtle Back Mesa B&B: https://turtlebackmesa.com/
- Arroyo del Sol B&B: https://www.clothingoptionalhomenetwork.com/locations/california/pasadena-altadena/
- Mountain Air Lodge
- Orient Land Trust/Valley View Hot Springs
- Orvis Hot Springs
- Solair 😎
- Sun Ridge
- Hidden River
- Suwanee Valley Resort
- Sunny Sands
- Cypress Cove 😎
- Eden RV resort
- Hidden Lakes
- Paradise Pines RV park
- Lake Como 😎
- Riviera Naturist Resort (???) http://www.riviera-resort.com/
- Sunnier Palms
- Sunnier Pines: https://sunnierpines.wordpress.com/
- Sunny Sands Resort (???): https://sunnysands.com/
- Sunsport Gardens
- (Edun Lake)
- Caliente 😎
- Paradise Lakes 😎
- Haulover Beach
- Blind Creek Beach
- Serendipity Park
- Native Woods Naturist Park (no active website)
- Paradise Valley Park (xxx): http://paradisevalleyclub.com/
- Bell Acres
- Hangin’ Loose Resort 😎
- Banana Patch (???): https://bananabanana.com/
- Kehena Beach**
- Little Beach, Maui**
- Bare Mountain Retreat
- Sun Meadow Resort
- Blue Lake Resort
- Sun Shower Country Club (1959): https://www.sunshower.com/
- Drakes Ridge (1964): https://drakesridge.com/homepage
- Sunny Haven (1947): https://www.sunnyhaven.com/
- Fern Hills Club (1947): https://fernhillsclub.com/about-us/
- Lake O’ the Woods 😎 (1933): https://www.lowc.org/
- Our Haven: https://www.ourhaven.info/index.html
- Ponderosa Sun Club: http://www.ponderosasunclub.com
Iowa [M]… No Naked Places 😢
- Prairie Haven (1972): https://prairiehaven.org/index.html
- Sandy Lane Club (???): http://www.sandylaneclub.com/index.html
- Lake Edun Foundation (???): https://www.lakeedun.com/about/
Kentucky [M]… No Naked Places 😢
Louisiana [M]… No Naked Places 😢
- Indian Hills Nudist Park (???): https://www.louisiananudist.com/our-story/
- Bayou Allure B&B: https://www.clothingoptionalhomenetwork.com/locations/louisiana/baton-rouge/
- Sandy Terraces (1953): http://www.sandyterraces.com/aboutus.html
- Berkshire Vista 😎 (1956 as Birch Acres): http://www.berkshirevista.com/
- Pine Tree Associates 😎 (1934): https://www.pinetreeclub.org/
- Maryland Health Society 😎 (1934): https://www.marylandhealthsociety.com/
- Pen-Mar Club (1950)
- Whispering Oaks (???): https://whisperingoaks.net/
- Turtle Lake (c.2003): https://turtle-lake.net/about/about.htm
- Nuance B&B (c. 2000): https://www.nuancebb.us/
- Forest Hills Club (1957): https://foresthillsclub.com/
- Spruce Hollow Campground (???): https://sprucehollow.org/
- The Oakwood Club (1942): https://www.oakwoodclub.com/
- Avatan (1961): http://www.avatan.com/site/
- Forty Acre Club (1953): http://www.fortyacreclub.com/
- Serenity Acres – (gay): https://sirenityfarmscampground.com/
- Club33Naked (???): https://club33naked.com/
North Carolina [E]
- Bar S Ranch (???): https://www.bar-s-ranch.com/
- Whispering Pines (1974): http://www.whisperingpinesnudistresort.com/index.html
North Dakota [M]… No Naked Places 😢
Nebraska [M]… No Naked Places 😢
New Hampshire [E]
- Cedar Waters (c.1950): http://www.nhnude.com/
- Skyfarm 😎 (1929/1932): https://www.skyfarm.com/main/#/
- Rock Lodge Club 😎 (1932): https://www.rocklodge.com/index.htm
- Gunnison Beach 😎
- Goodland Country Club and Spa (c.1932): http://www.goodlandcc.com/index-2.html
New Mexico [M]
- Mi Casa B&B 😎
- Bare Cottage 😎
- (thinking there’s another naturist B&B)
Mississippi [M]… No Naked Places 😢
New York [E]
- Empire Haven (1959): https://www.empirehaven.net/
- Juniper Woods (???): https://www.juniperwoods.com/
- Full Tan Sun Club (1968): https://www.fulltansunclub.com/index#
- Steph’s Pond (???): https://www.stephspond.org/
- Green Valley (1936): http://greenvalleyclub.net/history/
- Alpine Resort (???): http://www.alpineresort.club/home.html
- Cedar Trails (c. 1991): https://www.cedartrailsnudistretreat.com/
- Oaklake Trails 😎 (1992): https://www.oaklaketrails.com/
- Oklahoma Naturist B&B: http://www.oklahomanaturist.com/
- Bare Oaks Family Naturist Park (2006): https://www.bareoaks.ca/
- Jewel Lake Wilderness: https://www.facebook.com/JewelLakeWilderness/
- Sunny Glades Naturist Park: http://www.sunnyglades.com/
- Squaw Mountain Ranch (1933): https://www.squawmt.com/
- Mountaindale Sun Resort (1951): https://mountaindalesun.com/
- Willamettans (1953): https://willamettans.wildapricot.org/
- Tinyhouse Resort (2019): https://thetinyhouseresort6.wordpress.com/
- Breitenbush Hot Springs
- Sauvie Island
- Rooster Rock
- Alpenglow Ranch: https://www.clothingoptionalhomenetwork.com/locations/oregon/bend/
- PSHS – Penn Sylvan 😎 (c. 1934)
- The Woods
- Sunny Rest 😎 (1945)
- White Thorn Lodge
- Beechwood Lodge (???)
Rhode Island [E]
- Dyer Woods (???)
South Carolina [E]
- Carolina Foothills Resort (1992): http://www.carolinafoothills.com/
- Cedar Creek Resort (???): https://www.cedarcreekresort.net/
South Dakota [M]… No Naked Places 😢
- Green Haven Sun Club (1973): http://www.greenhavensunclub.ca/
- Rock Haven Lodge
- Emerald Lake Naturist Resort (???): http://www.emeraldlakeresorthouston.com/home
- Blue Bonnet Naturist Park (c.1999?): https://www.bluebonnetnudistpark.com/
- Wildwood Naturist’s Resort (???): https://wildwoodnaturist.com/
- Star Ranch (1957): http://www.starranch.net/
- Freedom RV Resort (2018): http://www.starranch.net/
- Natures Resort (2007): https://naturesresorttexas.com/about-us/
- Sandpipers Resort (???): http://sandpipersresort.com/
- Sunbirds (???): https://www.sunbirds.org/
- Lone Star Resort (???): website inactive
- Hippie Hollow
Utah [M]… No Naked Places 😢
- White Tail Nudist Park 😎 (c.1980?): https://whitetailresort.org/
- Abbott’s Glen 😎
- The Ledges 😎
- Coventry Resort 😎 (???): https://coventryresort.com/
- Kaniksu Ranch (???): http://www.kaniksufamily.com/
- Lake Bronson Club (???): https://www.lakebronson.com/
- Tiger Mountain Family Nudist Park (1945): https://www.tigermtnudists.com/
- Valley View Recreation Club (???): https://www.vvrc.org/
- Toadally Natural Garden (???): https://www.toadallynatural.com/
West Virginia [M]
- Avalon 😎 (???) https://www.avalon-resort.com/
The list is still a little rough, and most definitely a work in progress, but any contributions you can make will be greatly appreciated on our end. In the meantime, I’ll go to work on activating the map, and adding in our personalized reviews of the places we’ve been.
Looking for to cyber-naturist-travel with you!
Great list! Few in BC, CAnada:
Crescent Rock Beach in Surrey
Wreck Beach in Vancouver
Prior Lake in Victoria
Witty’s Lagoon in Victoria
Nanaimo River “Pink Rock” in Nanaimo
Great! Thanks. (I think I got Wreck Beach!) If you have links to websites or FB pages related to those places, please send them along. You and also email them to me at email@example.com. 🙂
I didn’t find naturist places when I lived in Alberta, but a quick web search shows a landed club near Sundre and a beach on the North Saskatchewan river west of Edmonton, with functioning websites. Maybe worth contacting.
On Wed, Mar 10, 2021, 7:46 AM The Meandering Naturist wrote:
> Meandering Naturists posted: ” OK naturist friends! I need your help! When > the pandemic broke out, we turned our eyes toward our homeland to locate > the best naked places we find on North American soil. That’s led to an > interesting project called NAKED IN AMERICA, which is ongoing, ” >
Great. Can you send me the link? 🙂
I live at Coventry Club in Vermont all summer. Its a very good Nudist club.
It’s on my list! Visited last summer, and will be posting our personal review SOON. We had a great time there. 🙂
Hi Dan, This is a great project and will be an important resource. Polo Beach is an unofficial nude beach on Oahu, HI, that I’ve been to a couple of times. There is a FB page for the Friends of Polo Beach (https://www.facebook.com/groups/246854418997947/) and it is listed on the “Top 8 Nude Beaches in Hawaii website (https://www.hawaii.com/discover/nude-beaches/#:~:text=Polo%20Beach%20in%20Mokuleia%20is,Waialua%2C%20toward%20Dillingham%20Air%20Field.&text=Kahuku%20Beach%2C%20Oahu).
Polo Beach is an unofficial nude beach on Oahu, HI, that I’ve been to a couple of times. Friends of Polo Beach have a FB page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/246854418997947/) and it is listed on the “Top 8 Nude Beaches in Hawaii” website (https://www.hawaii.com/discover/nude-beaches/#:~:text=Polo%20Beach%20in%20Mokuleia%20is,Waialua%2C%20toward%20Dillingham%20Air%20Field.&text=Kahuku%20Beach%2C%20Oahu). This is a great project and will be an important resource. Thank you.
Thanks! That’s super helpful. I’ll add it to the list! 🙂
This is great. I have family living in San Francisco and we visit at least annually (pandemics permitting). We try to combine it with a road trip (last one was Phoenix to Seattle via SF) staying in as many naturist places as we can on the way. It’s bloody hard to organise. Something like this would be absolutely amazing to refer to for planning the next one. I was thinking Florida to San Diego and then up to SF.
Thanks for checking in. I’m from the bay area, and will be adding more California reports soon! If you ever need help charting the course, I also do online convos for a nominal fee. Always eager to help someone figure out stuff we had to learn the hard way.
Though I’ve never been, Faywood Hot Springs in New Mexico still has separate naturist and textile-mandatory sections. Check out https://faywoodhotsprings.com/
How about Apollo & Playalinda Beaches on the Atlantic coast of Florida (both just north of Kennedy SC) – both naturist in certain sections.
Are those authorized naturist beaches? I’ve heard of them, and will likely be in the region soon, so maybe I can check them out first hand! Are the websites associated with either or both?
Dan, I can’t comment on the strict legality – but acknowledged enough at Playalinda for a big (6ft) official sign which says “Warning – you may encounter nude sunbathing within Boardwalk 13” – so certainly tolerated there. We’ve been to Playalinda mid-week and there was a good handful of nude bathers.
More here from the Central Florida Naturists – Apollo (http://www.cfnat.org/apollo.html) & Playalinda (http://www.cfnat.org/playalinda.html)
Excellent. I’m on it. And I’ll get them on the list!
I’ve been to Playalinda (lot 13) and can attest that it’s great. But the mosquitoes in the parking lot are murder.
Valuable insider trader knowledge.
Yes, there are authorized nudist a areas on both Appolo and Playalinda Beaches. They have their own parking areas at the far end of each beach. We’ve been to both and found Playalinda is the handiest nude beach to Cypress Cove, where we stay in Florida.
I think you’ll find a number of Northern California places you missed in my list here: https://www.naturistplace.com/theblog/2019/04/24/northern-california-naturism/. I’ve been to most of them. As far as beaches are concerned, it’s usually necessary to have directions to find them. My list provides directions, and I refer to other lists that also have directions.
It’s heartening that you included Red White & Blue beach, as that was a really great spot. But (as you know) it’s been closed for a few years, and there are several good alternatives quite nearby.
Also note the correct spelling of Bonny Doon Beach (not that it’s crucial). The beach is named for the nearby town, which happens to have been where the science fiction writer Robert Heinlein lived for a while. He was a naturist and no doubt visited the beach often.
Oh… I LOVE your northern California page! Best I’ve seen ANYplace! I’ll crosscheck your list in the coming days.
The tricky thing with California beaches, at least in my experience, is that it’s never quite clear what the status is from one year to the next. San Onofre comes to mind in that regard. Maybe we could connect in real time and talk some of that through when I go to work on the California page.
Thanks again for reminder about your page.
As far as beaches in California are concerned, it’s been established that state law doesn’t prohibit public nudity provided it’s nonsexual and not intended to “alarm” anyone. Local laws, of course, may supersede. Best to check with local naturists to learn current status.
I forgot to mention earlier that I put together a list like yours for the whole U. S. However, it hasn’t been updated for almost 14 years, so many of the places are now gone, and URLs for many others may have changed. At least it may give you something to work from. It’s here: https://www.naturistplace.com/nudeusa.htm
Amusingly, this old list was recently cited as a useful reference here: https://www.carepathways.com/articles/clothing-optional-retirement-plan.cfm
british columbia Vantans north vancouver. Sol Santi vancouver island. are missing from your list
Thanks for this. Are these actual locations? Are there websites associated with them? (Would be great if you could send a link!) 🙂
Oh, forgot to mention that I put together this kind of list for the whole U. S. However, it hasn’t been updated for almost 14 years, so many of the places are now gone, and URLs for many others may have changed. At least it may give you something to work from. It’s here: https://www.naturistplace.com/nudeusa.htm
Amusingly, this list was recently cited as a useful reference here: https://www.carepathways.com/articles/clothing-optional-retirement-plan.cfm
Regarding the inclusion rules:
1. Do you want to include locations that target the LGBTQ community?
2. Do you want to include locations that are clothing optional, but not fully nudist?
Absolutely yes, and absolutely yes!!! Thank you for asking!
Helios Nudist Association in Alberta, Canada.
I’ve been a member there for 20 years.
Sunny Chinooks near Sundre, Alberta, Canada.
I’ve been there a couple times.
Great. Looks like I need to get on the Canada Naturism website. Will Add this to the list as well.
And Helios Nudist Association.
I’ve been a member there for 20+ years.
Rhode Island Dyer Woods. http://dyerwoodscampgrounds.com
Have that one on the list! Hope to visit this spring. 🙂
I have spent a great deal of time at Brietenbush Hot Springs (https://breitenbush.com/) in Oregon. The geothermally-fed mineral soaking pools are all clothing-optional and most people opt for soaking nude. I’ve never witnessed any hassles for bathers regardless of what they’re wearing. The rest of the resort (e.g. the main lodge) requires clothing. The resort is situated on the Breitenbush River, and nobody much cares what you wear if you’re playing in the river.
There is an area on the resort grounds called Devil’s Hole, where a 20 ft wide river drops down a 7ft waterfall and turns 90 degrees next to a high cliff. Wide flat granite banks, perfect for laying around, border a fantastic swimming hole that remains shaded and cool even in the height of summer. This area is clothing optional and pretty-much everyone goes nude here. This is a magical and nonjudgmental space and I have personally witnessed a number of bathers feeling safe enough to shuck it all off for the first time. Transformational!
Highly-recommended for either a day pass or an overnight stay! Note that all of their (about 40) guest cabins were destroyed in the 2020 wildfires so the resort is desperately seeking guests willing to bring their RVs, pitch a tent, or just come by for the day.
On my list! 🙂
We had booked an AirBnB near Breitenbush last fall, but the fire blew through literally a week before we were to arrive. We ended up driving through the region right on to Washington. Really sad – but I’m glad to hear they’re up and running again.
Good intel on the nude use in the in area. I’ll try to work that into the script!
Playalinda Beach, FL
Moshup Beach, Martha’s Vineyard, MA
I can’t give you the legality of them or how
“official” they are are, but both definitely have areas where nude is A-OK.
Playalinda’s CO area is at the end of the access road, parking lot 13. Lots of room, no amenities other than toilets at the parking lot. Dunes behind you, ocean in front. Absolutely beautiful.
Moshup’s is way to the right as you walk onto the beach. 1/4 mile down or so. And it’s quite a long walk from the parking area to the beach. The surf can be a bit rough. Also no amenities. Ospreys are kind enough to put on a show from time to time.
Couple other oddities about Moshup. It’s narrow at low tide and very narrow at high tide. The CO area sits between the textile area to the left and cool, colorful cliffs that are sacred to indigenous people to the right. This leads to a fairly steady stream of textiles passing through the CO area to check out the cliffs (and I suspect see the naked freaks). Sometimes in close proximity. I found it best to act like I was, and they were, anyone else on any other beach.
Thanks! Super helpful.
In Westmore Vermont, the southern end of Lake Willoughby has a clothing optional area.
Thanks for the tip. Is there any information about that on the web? Maybe a friends of Westmore FB group or some such thing?
There’s a private Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/769636309760221
Excellent. Thank you!
Someone mentioned Polo beach on Oahu. Been there many times and it is great.
Also in Hawaii
Kauai – Larsens Beach – Going next time I am there
Maui – Pāʻia Secret Beach 😃
Maui – Po‘olenalena Beach – I have been nude here in the last cove, depends on where the textiles are roaming.
Also in Ontario is Ponderosa (http://ponderosaresort.ca/)
Beach in Ontario is Port Burwell Provincial Park. At the end of the public park is private land which the owner allows to be used as a nude beach. Been there a few times and always full of friendly nudists.
Excellent! Will add all of these to the list! Forgot to grab Polo beach.
I believe that Juniper Woods was started by Jim and Peg Kersher Lane in 1997. It was sold at the end of last summer 2020. The new owners plan to keep it as a Clothing Optional Family Campground, as it has been. It has been my favorite New York nudist area for years.
Almost stopped there last summer but we ran out of time. On the short list as soon as the weather gets warm. Glad the new owners are keeping the naturist thing alive!
I have been to some naturist resorts and communities in the U.S. As I remember, Forest Hills Club hosted me even I was single male. I stayed over 2 nights at the resort and met to many of locals who were really friendly.
Thanks for the tip! Is that in Michigan?
Dan, your date for Bluebonnet in North Texas is in error. I visited in 1991-1992 and it was a thriving community. Very welcoming members and very nice facilities for a rural park. However when I visited you needed to bring a tent or RV as there were no lodging facilities.
PS Thanks for all you efforts to promote naturism….
Thanks for the update! I’ll add that to the site!
Thanks for the update. 🙂
I believe in Montana whitefish is nudist colony
Huh… Do you know the name of it?
Check out “Swim Free Hawaii” on the Big Island of Hawaii. Captain Chuck is awesome!
WOW! That looks amazing. Wish I had known about that a couple years ago when we were there!
Playa Sonrisa (Smile Beach) is an awesome nude B & B in Xcalak, Quintana Roo, Mexico.
Reminding you, in the friendliest way possible that Mexico is in North America.
Thanks! I’ll need to go in and change the coding on the map, but thanks for the nudge. From the blogging perspective, I still think it makes more sense to deal with Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean in a separate section of the blog structure, (And yes, I know there are places on the Mexican Pacific – we’re headed to Zipolite soon! 🙂 ) as they share a similar climate and have a similar draw, but I realize the geopolitical issues of leaving it out of North America. (I’m in a similar conundrum with a reader who says Ontario belongs in eastern North America, not central. Also correct, but I’m more likely to bounce to Toronta from Chicago than I am from Maine. Tricky!
Not to put too fine a point on it, Xcalak is Caribbean, very different than Pacific coast.
BTW… It’s been a few years since we’ve been to Playa Sonrisa. During our last visit, Murph was talking about selling, and I’ve seen the adverts as well. Do you have updated intel on that? I’m always delighted to see they’re still there and open for business!
Ha! Donn was consumed with Contempt for everything Trump!
Haven’t been there since Covid.
Hello from Playa! We are here and in Lancaster County PA 6 months each.
PA: The Woods: https://www.thewoodscampground.com
On my list! I hope to come check it out in the coming weeks!
A very nice place in New Mexico. We have been there several times.
Rich and Cathy.